Sunday, May 14, 2006

I'm full, thanks, I don't want anymore cookies...

The cookies I am referring to are the ones website set on your computer when you visit a website. I don't mind accepting ones I go to directly or visit on a regular basis, but I deny all those who piggy-back. With most of the piggy-backers being ad cookies. In the past I have set my security preferences to low or mid where all webpages are allowed to give me a cookie. Of course I never knew who was giving me what.

One practice I noticed was when I did a search in Google, the first site on the list tried to give me a cookie, even though I have yet to click on their link. I only found this out when I started using the web browser Camino and set my preferences to not allow any cookies, and having to ask for my permission for each time with a new webpage I go to. So now Camino maintains a list of "allow" and "deny" websites.

And you would not believe how many websites, some having nothing to do with the site you originally went to, that want to give you a cookie. Most of the requests seems to be from advertisers who have ads on the site I visit. And to make it worse, these sites tries to give you the ad cookies before giving you the originating cookies. To them all, I deny! Unfortunately, some sites, like Yahoo, don't work at all if you don't allow cookies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home